Wednesday, January 6, 2021

It's Going to be a Great Year! You Can Quote Me on That!

Happy New Year! I am so looking forward to an art-filled year! I'm so excited, I can only seem to type in exclamation points! 

Tis the season for lists. They are all the rage in January. We've got lists of resolutions (1. Take up underwater basket-weaving. 2. Eat more gelatin-based foods), to-do lists (exchange skinny jeans I was gifted for sweatpants), to-buy lists (when I buy all the things I didn't get for Christmas. i.e. basket-weaving supplies and Jello), and of course "Best Of" lists. 

As you've no doubt seen on Instagram, everyone is making a grid of their top nine moments of 2020. I'll get to that. Add it to my resolution list. There are the lists of celebrities we lost in 2020, best songs of the year, most anticipated books of the year... The lists go on and on. So, in the spirit of itemizing, I scoured the Internet for the Top Five Best Art Quotes by Famous Artists! Just for fun, I put the artists at the bottom of the post, so you can quiz yourself or a friend, if you like.

Let's count down!

Honorable Mention (and a gimme, if you're doing the quiz): "We don't make mistakes, just happy little accidents."

5. "Don't think about art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art."

4. "As my artist's statement explains, my work is utterly incomprehensible and is therefore full of deep significance."

3. "Whether you succeed or not is irrelevant, there is no such thing. Making your unknown known is the important thing."

2. "The main thing is to be moved, to love, to hope, to tremble, to live."

1. "Creativity takes courage."

Let's have a creative, courageous year, friends! This storefront best displays my wish for you this year:


And remember! "Earth without 'art' is just 'eh'" (A quote off my 8 year-old cousin's t-shirt.)







________________________________________________________________________________

QUIZ ANSWERS: Honorable Mention: Bob Ross 5.) Andy Warhol 4.) Calvin of Calvin and Hobbes 3.) Georgia O'Keefe 2.) Auguste Rodin 1.) Henri Matisse

No comments:

Post a Comment